Program: Tribal WIC Program
Opening: November 1, 2019 Closing: November 15, 2019
The WIC Breastfeeding Counseling Coordinator will provide breastfeeding services to the Women, Infant and Children certified for participation in the WIC program. To serve as a coordinator to promote breastfeeding through the provision of skilled lactation management, training and support services. The position is responsible for the overall development and management of the breastfeeding education of the program. Ensure compliance with federal regulations, policy, and guidance, tribal objectives and ensure that quality breastfeeding education services are provided to the participants served.
- Interviews applications and participants to assess financial eligibility for the WIC program
- Provide education and counseling for prenatal participants and lactation support for breastfeeding women
- Over see the breastfeeding peer counseling program
- Assist the Nutritionist/ Registered Nurse in certifying WIC clients by obtain and recording accurate height, weight and head circumference measurements, hemoglobin/ hematocrit values, dietary intake and other necessary medical and/or nutritional information.
- Compares laboratory test results, anthropometric measurements, and/ or dietary intakes to established standard to screen for nutrition risks.
- Counsels participants on program objectives and availability of health and social service program (TANF, Medicaid, SNAP, IHS, homeless shelters and other services).
- Identifies high risk clients with special needs and refers them to the nutritionist/ registered nurse for nutrition counseling and development of care plan.
- Documents services provided to WIC clients by maintain accurate client and program records, and assist with electronic filing of participant forms.
- Explains program eligibility requirements and client’s rights and responsibilities.
- Informs clients about the benefits and services of the WIC program.
- Instructs clients on prescribed food packages and FI redeeming procedure
- Maintains and provides good customer service standards with courteous and respectful attitude towards all clients, vendors and co-workers.
- Assists with voucher issuance as needed.
- Organizes and maintains log for continued education activities as directed by the Nutrition Coordinator.
- Develops breastfeeding education materials
- Attends staff and in-service training sessions
- Plans, coordinates and provides monthly meetings for the promotion of breastfeeding and outreach activities by communicating with members of health programs, social services programs and community agencies.
- Will coordinate the distribution of breastfeeding supplies and aides, keeping log of equipment issued.
- Performs other duties to facilitate delivery of nutrition services in order to comply with the WIC state plan and successful operation of the WIC grant as requested.
- To understand and protect the rights of WIC employees, participants and vendors
- Responsible for sanitizing all medical equipment between each use.
- Monitors program and collects documentation and data as appropriate.
- Routinely reports to program director
- Works with other breastfeeding coordinator (if available) to assess for ongoing improvements to the program.
- Assist, as needed, in mailing reminder notices and calling clients regarding certifications and FI pick up.
- Keep WIC Director and Nutrition Coordinator informed of violations
- Perform duties and responsibilities in accordance with federal program regulations and tribal policy and procedures.
Qualification and Education Requirements:
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Minimum education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Possess knowledge and understanding of nutrition and how it relates to Women, Infants and Children of the Wind River Reservation and surrounding areas
- Be a Registered Nurse with a current State of Wyoming license
- Be a Licensed Practical Nurse with current State of Wyoming License
- Possess a Degree of Certificate as a Medical Assistant or Nurse Aide from accredited institution with current certification from the State of Wyoming.
- Will consider individual with prior WIC experience that possesses and equivalent amount of experience in the delivery of nutrition education services, with completed Competency Based Training, Risk factor training, Anthropometric and Hemoglobin training and breastfeeding training.
- Posses knowledge and. Or experience with computers.
- Possess knowledge and understanding of nutrition and how it relates to Women, Infants and Children of the Wind River Indian Reservation.
- One-year experience as Certification Lactation Counselor (CLC)
- Previous breastfeeding experience strongly encouraged
- Possess good verbal and writing communication skills
- Treats co-workers and client with dignity and respect
Will receive state approved training in nutrition and breastfeeding management
Confidentiality is very important when working within this program. All matters in the program will be kept confidential. Training will be given and compliance is mandatory. Also, a written agreement will be signed and maintained in the employee file.
Preference will be acknowledged to Enrolled members of the Northern Arapaho Tribe.
How to Apply:
Complete Northern Arapaho Tribal Application form and submit to the N.A.T Human Resources: P.O. Box 396, Ft. Washakie, WY 82514 or submit in person to Human Resources located at the Tribal Complex Building, 533 Ethete Rd. Ethete, WY Applications can also be completed on our website at www.northernarapaho.com click on the HR link. For more information call 307-332-2499 or Fax to 307-335-3596.